Sunday, February 14, 2010

Installing software in a netbook

I love my netbook! It's light, it's cheap, and it has a large disk space. But when it comes to installing programs in it, I'm reduced to : 1) borrowing an external CD drive, or 2) downloading the software from the net.

There are two other ways: 3) share the CD drive over the network, and 4) create an ISO image of the CD. This last one I find very handy. I got this solution from btfx in Yahoo Answers.

Step 1. In a computer with a CD drive, create an ISO image of the installation CD. A compact freeware suggested is http://lc-iso-creator.en.softonic.com/

Step 2. Copy the ISO image in a USB drive.

Step 3. Insert the USB drive in the netbook and mount the ISO volume using DaemonLite http://www.disk-tools.com/download/daemon

Be sure to unmount the ISO after use.

1 comment:

Aubrey Joanna Pascual said...

Hi! Your blog's great. The articles are brief but very useful. I was able to make use of this blog post when a classmate of mine asked for alternative of how to use the iso file instead of burning it in a CD.